Sunday, August 1, 2010

Some Things That Have Come To My Attention

Sometimes if you just see a picture of someone, they don't seem that good-looking. But then when you talk to them you think that they are the most beautiful person in the world.

I always think to myself, "That person is so cool, they act like nothing matters to them. They're so freaking cool." But then if I ever talk to that person, I realize that I care too much about everything to get along with someone who doesn't care about anything. Something awesome will happen, like a thrift store full of Beanie Babies that I don't have, and then that person will find out that I collect Beanie Babies and instead of coming to the realization that Beanie Babies are an important thing to care about, they just scoff and make me feel stupid for seeing wonderfulness in what are essentially bags of plastic beads. So, I have to look at those careless cool people and think, "Taylor, you are too intense and too hyperbolic to be cool, so you'd better just stick with the people who care about things."

I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube of British people, and now my internal monologue is British.

So, John Mayer wrote on his blog about his hair: "The feathered cut projects an attitude of ease and quiet confidence that seems to have all but eluded our generation. [It] is a work in progress, and as my hair grows longer it will serve to become a more stirring and poignant statement." Yes, he's talking about his hair. He thinks his hair style is going to make a "stirring and poignant statement." The more he talks/writes, the less I like him. Nothing about hair is poignant. I guess unless it's that song about that girl with cancer who has to shave her head before prom and then her boyfriend shaves his head in solidarity. That is poignant. But a Ferris Bueller-esque hairstyle? No. Not poignant.

Zach is home, and he didn't know who Justin Beiber is! Man oh man! I wish I didn't know who Justin Bieber is!

Last night I was trying to figure out who in the world I could imagine myself married to, and there wasn't anyone. I could imagine dating people, but not marrying anyone. That's probably because all the people I was thinking about were Andrew McCarthy, Ewan McGregor and David Tennant.

If all I ever ate was watermelon, I would be happy with my life.

Apparently people really hate you when you talk about music and, after mentioning a band you like, say "Yeah, you've probably never heard of them." I can understand why, in certain circumstances, that would be annoying. But I say that sometimes because sometimes I listen to bands that I really don't see how anyone else could have heard of them, either because they're local, or just random stuff I found online or whatever. And I don't want to act like I'm talking about Coldplay or something, so I don't want the person I'm talking to to feel like they should know who I'm talking about and feel stupid. So that's why sometimes I say, "You've probably never heard of this band."
Also, I guess people say that because they feel proud of how indie they are or something? I don't ever feel proud about knowing about some band, because usually it was someone else who told me about it. It's not like I'm a private eye who scopes out bands or something. I find out about them through websites and friends. Anyone can do that.

4 comments:

  1. I'm the person that listens and trys to understand what band you are talking about--even if I've never heard of them, because maybe someone will introduce me to them. . .
    I'd prefer watermelon over chocolate even. and that's a statement in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I wasn't one of those people who made you feel stupid for liking beanie babies.

    and. . .I don't know who Justin Beiber is.

    I'm also one of those people who say "you've probably never heard of this band" for the same reasons really, but also so I can feel cool. One of my pet peeves is that when asking someone what kind of music they like they say "anything, really." I don't know what to do with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your beanie babies. It will be a sad day if they ever go away.

    If it helps at all, I can give you a list of people you should never, ever marry. John Mayer? #1 on the list.

    Here's what cracks me up: I recently saw a facebook post by some youngun who said, "I just discovered this really obscure band called The Kinks! I don't think anyone has ever heard of them!" Fuhuhunny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone who doesn't appreciate Beanie Babies is the one who isn't cool.
    Also, in my head, in the future you are married to Andy Samburg (however unlikely that may be) lol

    ReplyDelete