Tuesday, September 29, 2009

9 Beautiful Things

#1 Tavi, aka "Style Rookie."
So, yes, I found out about this girl through Yahoo news, the least creative place to find anything. This girl is getting a lot of notice from famous fashion people and from me. I love the way she writes, and that the first part of her About Me is "Tiny 13 year old dork that sits inside all day wearing awkward jackets and pretty hats."
Really, though. Look at her blog. She's so quirky and beautiful that it makes me remember that fashion is a type of artwork. It's so easy to get cynical about fashion and think that it's all about shallowness, which sometimes it is. But anyone can put together a really awesome outfit. This girl thrifts and wears shoes she finds in her basement, for Pete's sake.

#2 Games by Gregory Weir
Please play I Fell In Love With The Majesty of Colors. Or I Wish I Were The Moon. They're simple and beautiful and only take a few minutes. But hopefully you'll like them. He has others, but those two are my favorites.

#3 Death To The Tin Man
One of my professors played this in class and the whole day was wonderful as a result. Sometimes you just see things that make you think about everything differently, and you fall in love with everything. This is one of those things. It's a short film based on the story of the tin man from The Wizard of Oz. It was actually kind of funny, because I think the tin man's story is one of the more obscurish trivial things I know, and that made me like this even more. But you don't have to already know the story to love this film.

#4 pictures for sad children
This is probably my favorite webcomic (I linked to the first installment). Please just read the first 8. The comic is basically full of whimsy and optimistic pessimism. There's nothing else to say.

#5 Can You Tell, Ra Ra Riot
The words to this song are full of longing and adolescent angst, but the good kind.

Oh what am I supposed to do?
It's hard to stay cool.
Oh, when you smile at me
and I get nervous every time you speak.

My bed's too big for just me
and when you turn your eyes,
I promise I won't care.

#6 The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, T.S. Elliot.
I know less than nothing about this poem. I just read it and really like it a lot.

There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate;
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

[This is Taylor. I'm including this part of a stanza, too.]

Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

#7 I Want You, Bob Dylan
Dylan is Dylan, and that's about all I need to say about that. This song is so full of great bounds of love.

The guilty undertaker sighs,
The lonesome organ grinder cries,
The silver saxophones say I should refuse you.
The cracked bells and washed-out horns
Blow into my face with scorn,
But it's not that way,
I wasn't born to lose you.

#8 Harold and Maude
A lot of people think this movie is creepy and weird. That's true. It is. Aren't people's emotions creepy and weird, though? This movie has a lot to say about how humans are and why they act like they do. We're all looking for love, it seems.

#9 Jon Foreman
I wrote about this on Facebook, but so much of what this man says is so right on. He's all about loving people.

4 comments:

  1. "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" + Jon Foreman= very yes. I can relate to the speaker of the poem in a lot of ways, few of them good. lol And Jon Foreman is just an epic individual.

    I really like the lyrics to that Ra Ra Riot song, although I've never heard their music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jesse! I'm still figuring out what all I think the poem means, but i like it tons.

    I only know that one song by them, actually. I got it when I went to Lollapalooza, but I like it, obviously. It's even better when you listen to the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love Tavi! In fact I just had a conversation about her today... she is, like, the coolest 13-year-old ever (and she raised some money to send to Darfur to help with the genecide thing, which is and incredible thing for a 13-year-old, fashion obsessed girl to do).

    And Jon Foreman is pretty incredible. The complexity of his songs is... yeah... I don't even know how to say. I'm seriously liking some of his solo work. The guy is a superhero.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was actually kind of thinking about you when I wrote about Tavi because I know you're really into fashion and I figured you would know about her. I love the way she writes!

    ReplyDelete